got root?
Tuesday, July 25, 2006
expansions
So I have decided to branch out and include more than just - scantily, as they have been - tech news and information. This will become more of a 'life of a geek' blog rather than purely a cypherpunkish, hacktivist endeavour. Now, most information will have some sort of technical side to it, either from a 'political' perspective or otherwise.

Onwards for the bulk of this post, a few issues to concern myself with;


  • Blogging about blogging and guerilla journalism.

  • Mac mods.

  • CPU architectures.



Blogging about blogging
This would go in a 'bashlist' entry because, really, how much can you entertain this subject? Sure, artists talk about art, webmasters about webdesign etc. However I have come across numerous blogs with countless entries regarding this topic. Note: You cannot blog about blogging if you do not blog about anything else. I mean, you barely know anything about that in the first place, so let it be. And yes, I do realize how ironic this section is because I am doing that very thing I am condemning, I suppose. But this is what happens when new things go pop, unavoidably.

Are bloggers journalists? Undoubtedly, some are. I am talking about those guys with first-hand knowledge of particular products/technologies/etc that are braking news in their posts. But journalism is also about analyzing facts and discussing them from a certain perspective; in that sense I am using the term of 'guerilla journalism'. Short, concise entries regarding pressing issues and offering a focused analysis. Certainly they are often controversial or unpleasant but this is what makes them that much more important. That is also why I feel 'guerilla' fits. It feels great being part of a revolution that has to take place - in this day and age - across all forts of media available.

Mac mods
I have made a few cosmetic modifications to my interface, basically just a theme and an icon set. Pretty, is it not? :) Certainly, a list of my favourite applications is in the works. Works well especially for new converts [of which I am one, of course] such as Znuff. Well, it is his boss' laptop but maybe soon enough he will get one of his own. One can only hope :)

CPU architectures
A discussion ensued today - on some IRC channel I am a regular of - regarding different CPU architectures. My idea is that we have no conclusive way of properly comparing the existing technologies. We revolved around AMD, Intel and IBM chips and from a consumer perspective I think that the last one is not even relevant anymore [with Apple phasing out their PowerPC line.]

MIPS are irrelevant since they vary greatly across platforms. Clock frequency is inadequate because equal-speed CPUs of RISC and CISC design will be obviously very different.

This just comes as a wake-up call to those people measuring their e-penis in terms of pure speed ratings. My G4 will destroy your comparable [but puny] AMD or Intel running at the same 1.33 GHz speed any day of the week. =)

Well, this should conclude today's episode. Check back, check often, check the RSS. Cheers!




Comments: Post a Comment  | | Home